Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Everyday Art Practice

 Hello there!

As usual, the months have started to zoom by, and here we are in April. Daylight Savings ended last weekend, which signals cooler evenings, earlier dinners and more time for creative pursuits, since I'm not outside until all hours, pottering in the garden.

January/February passed by in a blur.

The youngest child turned 21 at the end of January, so now I feel old. Both of my babies are officially adults now.😭 We had a lovely, low key barbeque lunch with close friends and family.

I managed a trip up to Tolmie mid-February. My remaining pine trees needed to be planted as we had a run of hot weather that really dried out the pots. Unbeknownst to me, some of the pots had blown over in a storm and were laying on their sides, not getting any rain. I got most of them in the ground and fenced them off using mesh panels that we had acquired at an auction. It was a very labour intensive 4 days, but I'm so pleased that I got them in the ground. I haven't had a chance to check on them since, but hope to get up there over the Easter break.


In my previous post, I mentioned that I was revisiting an embroidered panel that I had started quite a few years ago.  Unfortunately, I lost interest in that when I had an idea to add some black lace details to it, but couldn't find the materials to continue. I did buy a black lace dress at the Op-Shop and began to pull it apart, but the desire to continue had already left me. It's back on the WIP board until I get the urge to pick it up again. I played around with a few beaded pieces that I'd started, but nothing was holding my interest for very long. It may have been a combination of warm weather and an arm injury that was holding me back.

I'd often thought about buying one of those books that gives you an idea to create every day, such as this book by Lorna Scobie. I held off buying it whenever I saw it in the bookshop, because I knew my past record with finishing projects wasn't great and figured I'd do one or two pages then add it to the pile of neglected creative projects. Then one day, whilst mindlessly scrolling on Twitter or Facebook, I saw that someone had bought a Day to a Page diary and was drawing in it everyday. I decided that this was something that I could definitely handle.  When I was next at the shops, I purchased an A5 spiral bound diary with as little text on the pages as possible. I started on January 27th. I originally had the intention of going back and completing the January days that I had missed, but realised later on that this was probably not going to happen.

The goal was not to overthink things, but to just get something onto the page, using the tools and materials I have around me. (As an art supply addict, I have quite a few different mediums to choose from.) I would use images from books and magazines, online inspiration and my own photographs as a jumping off point. Quite often I would see a painting that I loved, or a great print on some fabric and think to myself, "I need to create something in that colour scheme or with that modern feel." Now was my chance to give it a go.
I discovered artists such as Sarah Schroeder , Julie Hamilton, Rachel Urquahart & Alisa Burke, and wanted to capture the loose, colourful style like theirs. I'd played around with collage here and there and really enjoyed it. It is a medium best suited to a large workspace where you can spread out all of the little bits and pieces of paper so that you can see the possibilities of the shapes and colours. My desk isn't that big and it's currently sharing space with beading supplies, books and various pens, glues and scissors. I have a drawer under my desk stuffed to the brim with scrapbook paper, old album covers, paper bags and various bits of wrapping paper. Collage is the perfect way to get ideas down fast, and it has become my go to when I've left my art practice until late in the day.

Some materials are not great on the thin paper that the diary pages are made from. Connector marker pens (left over from when my kids were at school) seep through the paper.


I had to create a cut out on the back of this page in order to cover up the colour seepage.
I bought some new Crayola markers and although I don't have a large colour selection to choose from, they work much better on this paper. They don't blend well and can have a tendency to look a bit messy, but I'm trying to lean into that.


My favourite medium would have to be paint sticks. Originally made for children, these non-toxic, waterbased sticks are like soft, fat crayons that glide on smoothly and can be blended like paint. I have a set of Little Brian and Boyle Chubbies. They're not suitable for fine, detailed colouring, but great for slapping down colour and then adding detail with pens and markers.

The only downside to these are the fact that they are a plastic barrel like a glue stick, so once the stick of paint is used, the barrel will end up in landfill (I can't see a recycling symbol anywhere.) It would be great if the barrels were either made from recycled plastic content, were recyclable or refillable, or the barrel was made of cardboard. It would also be great if you could buy the tubes individually, as there will definitely be colours that run out quicker than the others.

I'm learning so much about my own creative process. I've always liked drawing and sketching to get ideas down, but I've never been able to sit for hours and work on a realistic drawing. I can do an abstract that's full of lots of different textures and patterns, but they always look very 2 dimensional.
I just can't seem to draw what's in my head or what's right in front of me. It's like the hand-eye-brain signal gets crossed along the way. Or I start to draw and then a different style of drawing pops in to my head and I change my idea half way through. Here are some examples of drawing from my mind or using props. You can see how badly they turned out.
I want to practice doing more 3 dimensional drawing as well as learning about perspective, shading etc.

I found a cool picture of a a sculpture on Pinterest (sculpted by Paulie van der Heijden, I believe) and decided to have a go at drawing it. I was quite pleased with the results. I'd also like to draw something similar but instead of copying an object that has been created, try to draw something that I'd like to create myself.


I find that if I use a picture as a jumping off point, it's a great way of learning new techniques. When I saw this vintage fabric print by John Piper,

I knew I wanted to find a way to create the dry brush stroke look, without using a brush. I ended up cutting up some cardboard, painting them and then printing onto the paper.


They will become great colour references later on when I want to make a textile piece and need a starting point. Even though a lot of my stitched and beaded pieces evolve quite organically, it's always good to have an idea to start with, as it makes choosing fabrics so much easier.

I'm hoping to see patterns and a style develop, but all I'm seeing so far is that I really like bright colours and that I'm hesitant to have overlapping or intersecting lines in my drawings, because I'm worried that I'll stuff it up and ruin the picture. I'm only 2 months in, so there is still many pages ahead of me that are open to experimentation.

Anyway, here's a few of my favourites so far.


If you want to follow my progress, you can check out my Instagram stories @joystuffmakes . They're in the highlights section under March art, April art etc.




No comments: